Stress at work is something that nearly everyone can relate to. Interpersonal conflict, deadlines, and pressure from higher ups can and does lead to stressful periods within professional settings. But while everyone has experienced headaches, insomnia, irritability and anxiety that come with mounting stress, there are some professionals who experience stress at a disproportionate rate. Below is a list of some of the most stressful jobs in the United States today. If you work in one of these industries, make sure to take active steps to moderate the stress you experience.
- Cab Drivers: Battling traffic, directions, needy clients, and an industry that is quickly abandoning the traditional taxi model in favor of rideshare services like Uber and Lyft all add up to an incredibly high stress position.
- Corporate Executives: Once someone reaches the executive level, they generally shoulder a lot of responsibility. They have investors and shareholders to keep happy, goals to hit, and dependents whose salary is reliant on the health of the corporation. It is not an easy position to hold.
- Broadcast Journalist: The prevalence of social media means that on-scene reporters are often scooped by private individuals. There is more pressure than ever to arrive on the scene early and to think on your feet in order to offer the best reporting possible. If a broadcaster does make a mistake, then that can live forever on YouTube. Overall, it is a stressful role to take on.
- Police Officer: The police are responsible for public safety, and that often means putting themselves in unsafe positions. The court of public opinion has also turned against police officers in a lot of ways, which means that any and every mistake gets amplified and attacked. Being a cop today is not an easy position to be in.
- Firefighter: Firefighters put themselves in harms way every single day in order to prevent casualties and property damage. It is high stakes and dangerous, and with the prevalence of forest fires in recent years, it is busy.
If you hold one of these positions, then self-care becomes very important. Remember to take care of yourself in the face of the high stress situations you face every single day.